The mobile phone is our constant companion. In Germany alone, there were around 136 million mobile phone connections in 2018, of which almost 60 million used a smartphone. This means there are numerous people who own more than one mobile phone. Smartphones have long since ceased to be typical mobile phones, but are instead small computers that make phoning almost a minor matter. People talk about WhatsApp, take pictures and record videos. Not infrequently, the cameras of mobile phones are so good that there is no need for a separate camera, even for holiday photos. However, as the memory of smartphones is limited, it is important for many people to transfer files from the phone to the PC again and again. There are several ways to do this.
Transfer files from the phone to the PC with USB cable
One of the most common methods of transferring files from your phone to your PC is the USB cable. Connect your phone to your PC. The phone must be unlocked for data transfer. It is also possible that your mobile device displays a menu in which you still have to select that you want to transfer data. If the mobile phone is ready for transfer, proceed as follows:
- On your PC, locate the phone’s drive. Some computers automatically open a window when you connect.
- From the menu, select the destination where your data to be transferred. This can be the internal memory, but also an SD card.
- Now go to the corresponding folder and use the right mouse button to select the files you want to transfer to the PC.
- Now click on “Copy” or “Cut”. The file is now in the clipboard. If you have selected “Cut”, the file is removed from the original folder.
- Select a destination folder, click the right mouse button again and paste the files.
Transferring photos and videos from your phone to your PC is no problem.
Wirelessly transfer files from phone to PC
No USB cable at hand? No problem as you can also transfer data using “Wifi File Transfer“. This is a free app that allows you to transfer data wirelessly from your mobile phone to your PC (and vice versa). The only requirement is that the mobile phone and the PC are connected to the same WLAN. This is how it works:
- Open the app and press Start. An IP address appears in the following window, which you transfer to the address line of the browser on your PC.
- Now the complete mobile phone menu appears on the PC. Select the folder containing your files to be transferred from mobile phone to PC and mark them.
- Now click on “Download”. A window opens in which you select the destination folder on the PC. You can also decide whether the data should be transferred individually or as a Zip archive.
This service is offered free of charge for up to 5 MB. Transferring videos from a smartphone to the PC is almost impossible due to the size of the files.
Transfer files from your phone to your PC simply – online with TransferXL
You don’t have a USB cable at hand, don’t want to download an app or your smartphone and PC are not in the same WLAN? Then simply use TransferXL. The service allows you to send your data via the website without any complications. The data is not transferred directly from the phone to the PC, but stored temporarily on secure servers. From there, you can access the files at any time with any end device. For this purpose, you will receive a link that is displayed immediately during the transfer. Additional protection with a password is also possible. Even large files are no problem, as you can transfer up to 100 GB of data depending on your plan.
The most important questions and answers regarding file transfer from mobile phone to PC
This works very easily with a USB cable. You simply connect your smartphone to any PC, laptop or tablet and you can access the phone menu directly. There, you can select the files you want to transfer. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a photo, video, pdf or any other file – even the size is irrelevant. It works with 5 MB as well as with 5 GB
For this purpose, you can use the “Wifi File Transfer” app. This allows you to communicate wirelessly with your computer and thus transfer data from your phone to your PC. Both smartphone and PC must be logged into the same network, otherwise this service will not work. The whole thing is controlled exclusively via the desktop of the PC. Please note: You can only transfer 5 MB of data free of charge.
With TransferXL, you don’t need an app or a PC, just your smartphone. You can simply upload the desired data on the website – without registration or an account. In that moment, you will receive a link with which you can later retrieve the uploaded files at any time. Not only that, but there is also the high level of security thanks to end-to-end encryption and an incredible 100 GB of data transfer size when you take out an Enterprise subscription.